Saturday, August 1, 2020

No End In Sight – Keep Moving Forward


 

Many people throughout this particular season have found it difficult to stay motivated, to keep pressing in, to keep moving forward in training, in life. I can honestly say I’ve found myself at particular times in a bit of a dark spot, allowing doubt and confusion to slip in. I’ve found myself not really knowing which direction I should move, where and how I need to spend my time and doubting whether the time spent has been worth it. I so desire for this time to be spent in the most effective manner.

 

In truth, my trials have been relatively minimal by comparison. I know there are many people going through much more difficult situations than I face. The battles that I fight are in the mind, and they are spiritual in nature. However, truth be told that is the fight for everyone, whether they know it or not. I’ve learned to appreciate the trials, I’m thankful for the tests that come into my life because they are what strengthen me, they are what incite me to dig deeper in to God’s truth and in turn I’m grateful to share what I’ve learned in order to help sharpen and encourage others.

 

So the question is: What do you do when there’s no end in sight? Take this triathlon season for instance, I know in my case everything I’d signed up for has been canceled, and there’s no predicted return in sight. It can be easy under these circumstances to lose sight of your goal when there is no goal. Truth be told I’d gotten in the habit of making the event\race the goal. While they are a helpful marker, triathlons aren’t the goal, podiums aren’t the goal. Development, improvement and glorifying God through it should be the goal. Endurance sport is about going the distance, you can’t always see the end in sight, but you stay the course, you keep moving forward. This life is an endurance sport.  

 

There may be storms all around us currently in our lives, but we shouldn’t jump ship at adversity. Stay in the boat - Stay the course, clearly define what you’re moving toward, what areas in your life, sport, training need work, this is where our focus should be during this rebuilding season. If we’ll stay true to the idea that it’s not so much about competition with others, as it is with ourselves we will continue to develop ourselves and along the way inspire and encourage others.

 

It can be easy to fall into the mindset of the race as being the platform in which we long for to put it all out there, show ourselves worthy. We then find ourselves seeking the platform, when in truth we should be seeking Him, our Father and His Kingdom first. I’ve fallen into that trap time and again, but it hasn’t been with triathlon.

 

Continued motivation to train hasn’t been so much an issue for me because I realized early on I had an opportunity to work on and strengthen weaknesses brought on by nagging injuries. I’m motivated to get back right in order to run at full strength again. Where I’ve experienced ups and downs this season has been in the case that the industry I’m a part of has been affected. In many ways it’s been a wonderful opportunity for me to have the time to create. I’m a writer, you probably can’t tell from these devotionals. I didn’t say that I was a good writer. I write screenplays. As an artist, a writer you want your work to be seen. I’ve fallen into the trap of seeking the platform, wondering if I’ll find a home for what I’ve been working on, wondering if any of it’s worth it, forgetting why I began in the first place. Sound familiar? The same can happen when there’s no outlet for all the work we’ve been putting into training, if it’s the platform that we’re seeking it can be frustrating.

 

I encourage you during this season, use the opportunity to seek God first. Find your fulfillment in Him, not the sport, get close to Jesus and let Him show you a way in which you can continue to build. This time can be used as a wonderful opportunity to be rebuilt right. Use it as an opportunity to tune in, to focus on areas of weaknesses, or as I like to call them areas of opportunity. Listen and let it be revealed to you those areas where you can get stronger, know what will make you run better, know where you need to develop, mind, body and foremost in spirit.

 

 

Stay in the Boat

 

Fearing that we would be dashed against the rocks, they dropped four anchors from the stern and prayed for daylight. In an attempt to escape from the ship, the sailors let the lifeboat down into the sea, pretending they were going to lower some anchors from the bow. Then Paul said to the centurion and the soldiers, “Unless these men stay with the ship, you cannot be saved.” Acts 27:29-31

 

For in this hope we were saved; but hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he can already see? Romans 8:24

 

Now faith is the assurance of what we hope for and the certainty of what we do not see. Hebrews 4:11

 

So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. 2 Corinthians 4:18

 

But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Matthew 6:33

 

For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Spirit. Romans 14:17

 

For ye are not as yet come to the rest and to the inheritance, which the LORD your God giveth you. Deuteronomy 12:9

 

           

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rebuilding – Time for Strength and Conditioning

Just back from my first run in over a month and this topic is fresh on my mind. How strength and conditioning apply to me personally during ...