Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Rebuild Me Right - Right Heart, Right Mind


Everyone loves a good comeback story, with the exception perhaps of some of those who are making the comeback.  At least that can be the attitude that I can tend to slip into from time to time during this rebuilding season of my life. I talk about injury a lot, that’s because I’ve experienced a fair share of them, and as an endurance athlete there’s a lot of training through pain. I believe it’s healthy, both in a spiritual sense and physical, when we can open up, share information about injuries or past wounds. It’s healthy for us, to heal, and it may help others to process injuries of their own. It’s how we do life together, learning from one another sharpening one another, bearing one another’s burdens, mutually benefitting and growing together.

 

So, where was I? Yes, I’m in a rebuilding season, lots of work to be done. I’m coming off of injuries, correcting weakness, going through PT, you name it, it can be frustrating. What really makes it frustrating is when I look back and see how much I’ve lost. I’ve lost strength and speed, I’ve lost endurance. I mean basically everything critical to the sport. The problem is, I’m in the process of rebuilding, I have to learn to appreciate the process. I cannot go through this season frustrated, angry and upset about where I’m not, about what I once had. If I stay there, I’m going to miss the lessons that are being taught in the rebuilding. If I miss those fundamental principles, I won’t be allowing myself to be rebuilt right, and if I’m not aware of what got me in need of repair, I run the risk of going there again. ‘Rebuild me right’ is actually a phrase that I picked up a couple of years ago, after a nagging burning QL injury knocked me off course. It was obviously not only a prayer for my physical well-being, in fact it was primarily a prayer for my spiritual life. It seems there’s always a spiritual take away from ailments in the physical, that is if we’re seeing through spiritual eyes. I went through that process knowing that there were adjustments that needed to be made in my life, more than adjustments a whole redevelopment of mind, will and emotions.

 

I’m currently in that place again, where my prayer is “rebuild me right”. The interesting thing about it, the extents of the work is even deeper, just like the physical work that needs to be done, I’ve made the analogy before, but I’ll say it again I believe God like a master potter, will spend hours at the wheel shaping us, forming us, and then starting again from scratch with the same lump of clay, working us to perfection. Not that He can’t get it right the first time, but we the clay, can often be too thick, stubborn clay. I really think that life is like that though, a series of Temple remodeling jobs, each time, He rebuilds us better than the time before, but the work is never finished. God doesn’t do sloppy work, when we let the world begin to rot us away; He tears things down and starts again.

 

If I want to be rebuilt right, I can’t hang onto past things, no matter how good they may have been, I’m going through this season, to see even better times. New seasons are new season, let the new thing happen, be intentional about rebuilding with God. I will be rebuilt better, stronger, faster and I’m okay if that doesn’t actually happen in the physical, I seek a higher purpose. I want to remain fruitful through the rebuilding season, in order to do that I can’t allow myself to abide in the past, but in the Spirit, where there is patience, peace, and joy.

 

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away. Behold, the new has come! 2 Corinthians 5:17

 

And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast. 1 Peter 5:10

 

Come, let us return to the LORD. He has torn us to pieces but he will heal us; he has injured us but he will bind up our wounds. Hosea 6:1

 

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31

 

And He who sits on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new.” And He *said, “Write, for these words are faithful and true.” Then He said to me, “It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give to the one who thirsts from the spring of the water of life without cost. Revelation 21:5-6

 

Finally, brothers and sisters, rejoice! Strive for full restoration, encourage one another, be of one mind, live in peace. And the God of love and peace will be with you. 2 Corinthians 13:11

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rebuilding – Time for Strength and Conditioning

Just back from my first run in over a month and this topic is fresh on my mind. How strength and conditioning apply to me personally during ...