Tuesday, August 18, 2020

A Plumb Line - Triathlon as a Guide

 I reference injury and weakness a ton in this devotional, but keep in mind it is a rebuilding season. Rebuilding I know in my particular case in the physical has been meant for me to identify weaknesses. The idea is to fortify myself in order to return to the sport stronger. I long to do the same in my work, career and relationships. That work requires strengthening the inner man, and this is where the fortifying and rebuilding concept for the physical and spiritual go hand in hand.

All of the triathlons I had already scheduled to compete in this year have been cancelled. However, I am actually very thankful for that due to the fact that prior to the season even beginning, I discovered I have some muscular issues, there’s inhibitions, weaknesses, dysfunction and lack of power. There’s no way I could have had any success with this season, never mind success, I may have either pushed myself into injury or had to have to pull myself out of the competitions myself. There are two upcoming triathlons that I would love to be able to compete in if for nothing else to use them as a goal to mark where I am in this rebuilding.

 

I’m sure many of you are familiar with using upcoming events as goals, the upcoming competition that keeps you moving forward, keeps you training to improve your power and endurance. I think it’s critical to have a goal post out in front of us. See what God’s word about it: Where there is no vision, the people perish: Proverbs 29:18

 

However, in this rebuilding season, I’ve discovered if I am to have an opportunity to compete at all my approach will have to be different. The triathlon will still serve as a goal, but should now be thought of more as a plumb line, a guide for how I’m progressing. Again I understand that is usually the case, the competition is always going to be with ourselves first. That’s what I love about the sport of triathlon, but it can be said with any sport and it really should be said of any sport the competition should be with yourself, the event should be the plumb line, the guide to how far you’ve come and give you an idea on what you need to work on. In spiritual terms what I’m getting at is making  triathlon analogous for God’s Word.

 

God’s Word is perfect, it’s true, it’s a plumb line for our life. It’s a plumb line for judging our weaknesses our shortcomings, it let’s us know in which areas we need improvement. It is a perfect Guide. God’s word will let us know just how far we’ve come, and just like in the sport there’s always room for improvement we can continue to focus on building strength and power and foremost character. A character formed in and founded on Christ. Do you see where it all ties together? Jesus is the Word, He’s the Way the Truth and the Life, he’s the plumb line. Here’s also what I know, while the fullness of the character of Christ is my goal, I know I won’t meet it. I also know I don’t have to. He’s done something I never could, and He did it so that I would share in His victory. I may never win first place overall in an Ironman, but I know I don’t have to the victory is understanding that I’m already a winner because I continue to push myself toward the goal. 

 

Here’s the full part of the scripture used earlier: Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he. Jesus is the goal. Jesus is the promised Land, Jesus fulfilled the Law. My goal is to Abide in Him, He’s my plumb line. I’ll know where my weaknesses are if I keep Him constantly at the forefront of my mind, and I’ll be able to make marked improvements as I move along in life.

 


For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Hebrews 4:12

 

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work. 2 Timothy 3:16-17

 

For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. Romans 15:4

 

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. John 14:6

 

Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth. John 17:17

 

How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word. Psalm 119:9

 

The spiritual man judges all things, but he himself is not subject to anyone’s judgment.

“For who has known the mind of the Lord, so as to instruct Him?” But we have the mind of Christ. 1 Corinthians 2:15-16

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rebuilding – Time for Strength and Conditioning

Just back from my first run in over a month and this topic is fresh on my mind. How strength and conditioning apply to me personally during ...